Friday, March 13, 2009

I'm in. Wait... I'm in!??! I Am In!!!

Today is an auspicious day. Yes indeed. Today, I have been accepted to the Master of Public Administration (MPA) Program at the University of Utah. Squee! Whoops – sorry – didn’t mean to squee all over. How embarrassing.


I’m pretty stinking excited though. I loves school. Loves it precious! I know what you’re thinking – that’s crazy talk – but I really do like it and I’m so excited (and so ready) to go back and get my Masters. The MPA program appealed most specifically to me for a plethora of reasons. Even though I went to school with the intent of being a secondary English/French teacher, life, as it tends to do, seemed always to steer me down a VERY different course. I mean, around this time last year I was working at BYU Independent Study in Provo, planning on earning money to eventually go back to get my Masters in English Literature at BYU and eventually begin doctorate work to ultimately become a College Professor. I never thought I would be back in SLC and most specifically, back at the University of Utah. Ha. To be honest it was the last place I ever thought I would end up getting my Masters. I’d already been there, done that. I mean, I loved the U and I love SLC, but I wanted a new experience, something different, and well, I guess that wasn’t in the plan. It’s been rough to try and mold myself to this very unexpected turn of events. However, even though this “different” course has been really hard and trying at times, I feel as if it’s the “right” course, and I will carry on, carry on, carry on. This program encapsulates all my interests and goals: from my desire to be involved in non-profit organizations to working in the public sector and most specifically, educational policy and leadership. It’s going to open up all sorts of career avenues and opportunities for me. Ha, wow, it sounds like I’m writing a letter of intent, doesn’t it? Well – it’s true. In fact, I didn’t even know this program existed until I started working at the Utah System of Higher Education and my boss mentioned it to me. Upon doing some research – I found that all my interests in law, politics, policy, the public good, non-profit organizations and education all fell inline with a MPA program. Genius. GENIUS! It was a pretty awesome moment when I realized that THIS is what I am supposed to do. Getting that direction in my life came at a time when I had absolutely no direction – zero- zip – nothing. It came at a time when all my dreams and all I had thought was going to happen had been shaken up and rather ceremoniously destroyed. Yes, it was that traumatic… over and over. Shudder. However, as we all know, when one door closes, another one opens… or at least we can crack a window. The MPA has cracked a window – and will hopefully lead to more open doors. What’s particularly funny is even when I decided to get my MPA – I STILL researched other schools to see what their programs had to offer – ya know – just to see. ;) I checked ASU, some schools in California, Washington, and New York. But in the end, I knew the U was where I needed to go. It was the program for me. All those other options just kind of… disappeared. I forgot about them. I didn’t even apply anywhere else. It’s interesting – when I ended up at the U as an undergrad – it was kind of the same experience. I was going to go to BYU – and then didn’t even apply. Someone DEFINITELY doesn’t want me at BYU. Well hey, who am I to argue? Thus, as of Fall 2009 – I get to start LIVING again. Or at least – having purpose and direction again.

Eventually of course, I will get my PhD in English Literature (not at BYU, right?) and settle into a Professor’s life. Maybe if I ever get married and have babies, Professoring can be something to work towards for the “golden years” the “all the kids are in school” years – but for now – I’m in the MPA Program baby! So totally in.

13 comments:

Rachael said...

Hey that's awesome!!! Congrats!! Way to go. horray. hozzah. Cheers :)

Mrs. Walker said...

Congrats Andrea! That's great!

Mike & Emily West said...

CONGRATS you little braniac! I remember talking to you about that as a possibility at good ol' BYU and look, you are doing it! So, Andrea, my petite friend, I bid you a sweet congratulations! You will be a fantastic MPA! :-)

The Sevy's said...

Way to go Friend! Congrats!

Marisa Jean said...

Wahoo! Yay for life steering you away from being a college professor. You are going to kick @$$ in the MPA program. Go Andrea! Go Andrea!

Anonymous said...

Yippee!!! You will love it. Fall will have that back-to-school feeling again. You can even go school shopping in the supply closet. ha, ha.

Andrea, Mrs. said...

Hooray! Bravo! Good show! Woohooooo!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oooooh! Congrats congrats and congrats!

I'm so excited for you girl! This is gonna be Huge!

(In other news, my app to the U went through on Friday and I'm starting classes this summer. Huzzah for homework....wait, I mean....crap.)

xox

Michele said...

So cool! Congratulations Andrea!! I am so excited for you!

j said...

Congratulations!!!

And I wanted to tell you I'm completely in agreement about the Harry Potter movies thing. None of the movies have even come close to surpassing the books. Crazy people!

Andrea Jolene said...

Thanks all friends. And when I'm a month in and wondering WHAT in the WORLD I was THINKING going back to school - I will look back at your kind support and press on!

Adam and MiKail said...

Congratulations Andrea! This is so exciting! I do believe a celebratory trip to Seattle is in order...:)

Andrea Jolene said...

Amen to THAT MiKail. I"m just trying to find a sucker to come with me. I keep checking ticket prices and hoping, one day SOON, I can venture to Seattle.