Wednesday, June 3, 2009

When you know... you know.. and I know... with all my heart.

I didn’t go to BYU. What a way to start a post!! I just want you to know I didn’t attend BYU because what I’m about to say sounds very “BYU-esque.” I want to prove that this can happen to ANYONE regardless of their Utah college choice. True – BYU tends to spearhead the “come to college, find a spouse… try the Wilk or Library for best picks” stereotype. That’s probably because it happens there more than any other institution of higher learning in Utah (naturally it being the Church owned school and happy little LDS singles flock there with only two (sometimes just the one) purposes in mind – education and eternal marriage). Alright, so what in the crap am I talking about? BYU disclaimer? Marriage? Love? LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT? Yes to all of the above. You may think it only happens to 18 year old pink cheeked blond ringleted BYU freshman (over and over and over again), but apparently it can happen to 25 year old brunette, University of Utah grads as well. Love at first sight. I mean… when you know you know… and I know. Ya know?


Here’s how it happened. I was not at BYU nor near the Wilk in any way. In fact, it wasn’t on any campus at all. It was in a dark room with a big screen and about 100 other people. I went into this with no expectations. I thought I’d see a few eligible, even good looking guys, be entertained, but not really “feel it” for anyone. It’s kinda how I roll – I find many a man attractive – but am I attracted TO them? Tis very rare. It really does take me some time to decide if I have interest in someone – and even then – I’m a bit of a “fence sitter” just to be careful. Like any of us – I’ve had my wee heart broken more times than I care to recall and thus it’s made me a fair bit more weary when considering taking a risk on someone again. The last one I dated I “sat on the fence” for quite sometime and when I finally plopped over onto the “OKAY! You’re awesome! I like you…” side. Well… he had plopped over the opposite side of the fence. C’est la vie. C’est l’amore. Buuuut now that that’s all healed up I’m willing to start looking around again. And I’m sure glad I did.

When I saw him I thought “ohhh…oh you’re… somehow cute.” Ya know what I mean? One of those guys that you aren’t quite sure if he’s cute or not… if you’re attracted to him or not? I mean he is clearly a cute boy, but is he cute to YOU? He may have funny ears or an odd hairline, but something about him, interests you. So, out of interest and curiosity, I kept my eye on this fella throughout the evening. Compared with the other guys hanging around him he was cool, logical, though still had feelings and emotions, smart, tall, dark, and handsome. He could handle regularly stressful situations with a calm and collected attitude; he was objective and thorough, ambitious but not over zealous, and is an aspiring Professor. He liked to explore and travel great distances. Hm. Alright, all attractive things for me. As I watched him interact with others around him, he seemed to never let too much get under his skin, but when it did, he was able to recognize that he was no longer able to objectively handle a situation, and subsequently removed himself from it. A man of humility! I dug further. He seemed like a strong and skilled man, yet gentle and kind. Gasp! Suddenly, I found myself growing more and more attracted to this man. It was unexpected, as it always is, but also exciting. Isn’t it amazing what you can find out about someone in a mere two hours? 2 hours!?!? I count that as love at first sight. After the event, I kept most of my feelings to myself – perhaps mentioning to a friend how cute I thought this new man was – but never fully indicating the level of attraction I felt towards him. After that evening, I saw him several more times during the week. I learned more about him. I watched him from afar, and up close. And finally, I realized I was in love. He was it! One of the most accomplished, attractive, and ridiculously smart and logical men I’d ever encounter and probably would ever encounter. When you know.. you just know! And I knew… and I’m not ashamed anymore! I’d like you to see my man… and you may not see him as I do… but I love him anyway.


Here he is… the “man across the Wilk”, the “love at first sight”… my BYU moment…



And again…

Sappy siiiiigh. It can happen to anyone I tell you!

6 comments:

Andrea, Mrs. said...

Oh yah--I understand. I understand. But, alas--I am married.

Gina said...

I never took you for the psycho murder type. You know, Silar from Heroes, he's a little creepy if you ask me...

Andrea Jolene said...

Mmmm...psycho murderer.

heidikins said...

Hahahaaa!!

You're such a nerd. Love it!

xox

Marisa Jean said...

If I was single, I'd say "fight me for him." But he's all yours.

Michele said...

Ha! You are so funny! You really had me going there for a minute.