So, she told me of this list ’30 before 30’ she was making and I immediatly asked permission to copy-cat. Clearly, as indicated by the title, '30 before 30' means there are 30 somethings (recipes? First dates (please, Lord, no)?, lbs? ) to be had, lost, or experienced before the age of 30. As Americans… or humans really… not sure why I would exclusively attribute this to Americans, we tend to utilize age as a timetable for accomplishing particular life goals. “I will retire by age 40! I will be a home-owner by 35! I will have run a marathon by 28!” And so forth.
This age-defined timeline in which 30 somethings must be accomplished is, “30 new places to visit by age 30.” Naturally, the 7-11 on 4500 south does not count… I’m taking travel my friends! Destinations! 30 of them before I’m 30 (which nauseatingly, is only 4 years away… 3 years 8 months to be exact… I think I puked a little in my mouth just then)! Genius right? And quite a hefty goal (should've thought of this last year) – but one I’m going to set because first, it seems like a fine goal to set and traveling is on my top 'how to make life good' list and second, Oprah says if you want to make something happen, you need to set a goal and then write. It. Down! Or at least that sounds like something Oprah would probably say… I cannot prove she’s actually said it.
Moving right along…
I’ve picked a lot of these places in ‘clumps’ – meaning areas I can visit in one trip rather than a bunch of separate trips – which makes no sense. I mean 30 separate trips before 30? That’s just crazy talk! Pricey crazy talk.
Thus with no further ado, I’d like to present… determinedly… my list of:
30 Places to Visit before 30 (in no particular order)
3. Cambodia (you better believe I’m counting those 3 as separate places in one trip! That's a huge undertaking!)
4. New Zealand
5. Australia (best New Years fireworks in the WORLD!)
6. France (yes so I’ve been to Paris… but we’ll go other places in the France too so it counts)
7. Greece (childhood fantasty)
8. Turkey (since I was jipped out of it two years ago)
11. Washington DC
12. Seattle (not Forks… shudder)
13. Portland/Astoria (Goonies never say die!)
15. South Carolina – Charleston
16. New York City
17. Canada (Niagra Falls par-tic-u-lar-ly)
18. Escalante National Park
19. Mexico – somewhere
21. Nauvoo – Church trip!
22. Grand Canyon
23. Havasupi, AZ
24. Bear Lake, UT (it’s true I’ve never been)
25. Lake Powell (again.. truth)
27. Island Park, ID
28. Italy – (just Italy... for I plan on taking this one with a man... ambition!)
29. The Bahamas
30. Florida (particularly the new Harry Potter theme park in Orlando. Awesome!)
So there you have it! I can tell you that numbers 1-4, 15-17, will likely be checked off this year. That’s right! Getting two major international travels already checked off. I’d say I’m off to a good start. Oh… and slight disclaimer… you should know that 30 by 30 means I get my 30th year to polish off the list. It’s when I turn 31 and there are still danglers that I fail. So… make note. Year 30 counts.
So what about you? Any "x before age y" formula’s you’d like to share? Mm?