Monday, March 8, 2010

Think of 6 impossible things before breakfast... served with some serious cheese

So... I was going to put this on ye old sidebar and FINALLY replace that ridiculous picture of that ridiculous 'other movie' of ridiculousness (oh heck I'm doing it anyway!)... but then I started to think about everything I wanted to say about it. Thus, I guess it deserves a post rather than a mere sidebar mention. That's not to say you need to strap in for a 'rave' review because... well...


It was good. Right? I mean, it was whimsical and fanciful and the acting was great (hello, Johnnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter... tell me how this combo EVER fails), but I dunno. If you stripped away the creativity (Tim Burton - thank you sir), the colors, the whimsy, and the endearing timelessness of the tale, I found it rather... wanting. I wouldn't see it again. And I wasn't impressed with the plot even remotely. They could've done SO much and meh... they did a little here and a little there... to supplement the aesthetic wonderous wonderlandness. Granted, the pure artistry of the film can make up for some plot-holes and weaknesses (and ridiculous dances at the end... one for the kiddies I guess), but truly, something was definitely amiss and no amount of crazy-eyed Johnny Depps or Alan Rickman caterpillars can fully make up for it (maybe Johnny Depp - see Pirates 2 and 3). I wish they would've just done a retell of the classic Alice in Wonderland story rather than trying to mix up characters and create an entirely new story line. Didn't sit. Didn't sit too well at all.

So, what'd you think?

3 comments:

alpinekleins said...

I'm a big Johnny Dep fan so I'll probably see it. But I've never really cared for "Alice" no matter what the media. I've tried, but just get into Wonderland:)

Kristin

Andrea Jolene said...

Johnny is always worth the $8. Always.

HRH said...

I really loved it. I loved the character of Alice -- she's a strong woman. I like that she kicked some but.